Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tot School - March 30 - April 3, 2009

Tot School

Wow! We had one of the best weeks ever! The weather was beautiful almost every day last week!! So beautiful, in fact, that I couldn't bear to keep the kids inside all day. So nearly every day last week, we went outside for most of the day. Most of Lindsay's tot school was done inside in the mornings, while it was still a little too chilly outside.

Theme: WEATHER!!
We just kept it simple this week. Rather than simply teaching her about the weather, I wanted Lindsay to really experience our theme up close and personal! This theme is one of my favorites because I LOVE sunshine!! Without it, I would surely go insane.
Prior to last week, I had made a bunch of weather cards using an April Lesson Plan I bought online. On Monday, she and Addison helped me make a box to display them. Each day, Lindsay got up from the breakfast table and ran over to the front door to peak out the side-lights to see what the weather would be. I would ask her to choose the correct weather card from the box to show me what the weather was. Then we would place a matching weather card on our calendar.


We talked about the rain...


And she made a raindrop (that I had outlined for her) out of blue thumbprints and "swirlies"...
We talked about clouds...She did a worksheet (on desk above) which had to do with counting clouds and being able to circle the correct number that corresponded to the number of clouds in a given row.
This is something I felt particularly proud of...I handed her a coloring page with a cloud on it, and asked her what color she thought clouds were. My 3 year old little Einstein told me that clouds could be pink, purple, blue, orange and white...rainbow clouds. I laughed and said, "oh how cute," and dismissed it. Later on that evening, while (still) playing in the yard, she pointed to the sky and said, "Look Mommy! Rainbow Clouds!" It was a beautiful sunset and all the clouds were, in fact, "rainbow" colored!
I taught her a song about clouds in which she got to use her cloud stick. It included an appropriate amount of wiggling and giggling! :)


We did some color sorting...nothing to do with "weather" persay, but she REALLY likes to sort M&M's!!


We talked about the wind, and made a beautiful windsock!

On it, she colored herself and Mommy playing in the flowers.

She decided to hang it in the big Elm tree in the front yard. I thought it looked very pretty there!


And we spent a LOT of time discussing the aerodynamics of a Dora the Explorer tricycle! (LOL...just kidding!!)





For more Tot Reports from other moms, visit Carisa's blog at 1+1+1=1. Y'all have a great week!!

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to bookmark this for futre reference! Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temps over 100 already! WOW! Looks like a great week, we also did the chika boom boom activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful week! I need to remember to get some M&Ms for RockerTot to sort. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That windsock idea is great! When we're in the States this summer, we'll have to try that! I wish I could use M&Ms for sorting, but I know they would be eaten faster than I could get them out of the bag! My Little Man LOVES chocolate!
    Thanks for the fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete