Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sweet Dream Spray

Having trouble getting the little ones to nap?? I just remembered this as I was reading through some of my preschool things, and thought I would share it here.

This is a sneaky little idea I came up with when I was teaching Pre-K in Little Rock (years ago). I've recently started having trouble getting Lindsay to nap. So I thought if it worked with a room FULL of 3 and 4 year old boys and girls, then it should definitely work with just ONE little girl! I was right...I put her on a pallet in the floor, and turned on a box fan nearby. It's really just water in a spray bottle scented with essential oil...but something about the name makes Lindsay run for her favorite naptime spot and get ready for some sweet dreams! I spray one squirt of this spray in the air (about 3 feet above her head) so that it floats down gently and lightly "kisses" her face. It's not enough to get her wet, just enough for her to notice the light, sweet scent and conclude that "it's working!"

Now, of course, this spray does absolutely nothing to merit it's name, but it does help her have a more positive attitude about naptime (and also bedtime). She knows that she can't get the spray until she's laying down and ready to nap - that means her potty break is over, she's not thirsty, and she's ready to be quiet. Here's how to make it:

Get a clean plastic spray bottle (you can get these at Wal-Mart in the Health and Beauty section for about $1.) Fill it with clean water and a couple of drops of the essential oil of your choice. I use Lavender oil now, but when I worked at the Preschool I just used a teaspoon of Vanilla Extract. In the spring and summer, I will sometimes use Lemon Extract. In the winter, I might use Peppermint Extract or Oil. Just something to make it smell nice. As always, don't forget to clearly label all fluids in spray bottles!! We don't want little ones going for the household cleaners thinking it's their Sweet Dream Spray!!

As noted above, just one spray about 3-4 feet above her head so she can feel the spray and smell the scent of the oil.

Lindsay loves the smell of the mist as it hits her face, and doesn't put up near as much fuss anymore when I tell her it's naptime!

No comments:

Post a Comment